Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Happy Law Day! May Day!

 


  I just told Miss Emilie that you're supposed to put       
common violet
 Voilet sororia
little baskets of flowers on neighbor's doors
on May Day,  but nobody does that anymore.
The last time I did it was for my elderly friend next door.
 Last fall I lost my dear Doris.
 I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I love those little customs.

 Today, we will take a walk and try to find some
 wildflowers, and make a small bouquet for Mommy.
There are some violets blooming and we can make
candied violets for our cupcakes.
 These are New Jersey's state flower and they come up
  wild in our lawns each spring.
 Learn more  about violets on my blogpost,
"Spring-New Life and Beauty", March 29, 2012





  Did you know that May 1 
       is also Law Day?

It was first established by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1958,
 "to celebrate the role of law in our society, and to cultivate a deeper understanding of the legal profession." 




 Here's my favorite lawyer, my daughter Amy!
 She is also celebrating a birthday, this week. 
Rutgers Law School Graduation 2014

Amy,  on swearing-in day, as a New Jersey Lawyer



I love to cut some pussy willows and other flowering branches to bring inside 
and force them. We rooted these, and will plant them today!

Ours cuttings are well-rooted and leafing-out!
Read more about Pussy Willows here

   

I had so much fun telling Miss Emilie stories and poems all about pussy willows, 
and how we could get some trees, by rooting them. 

Pussy Willow Legend


    Later we'll go get some plants for the 2 urns on the front porch.
    It's finally warming up,  and time to garden!
   Emily wants to start work on our fairy garden, and plant some zinnia seeds.
    She's an eager helper!  I'm so happy that spring is finally here, because
 Mommy started working the night shift and is sleeping 
    so we have to get outdoors more!
      Emilie is turning 4 this week, and she loves to have tea parties with Grandma!









Guess what!  Happy news!  I am now a great-grandma!
 Baby Johnny has arrived!
 My son , who just celebrated his birthday in Heaven, is now a grandpa!
 I'm sure he's looking down, smiling and so proud!
Baby Johnny, our newest family member
March 27, 2018


                               Emilie and Tommy love their new baby 2nd cousin !



                                        Happy May Day! 
                                                               
                                  I'm going out to play now!
                                               Love, Linda

1 comment:

The Charm of Home said...

What a lovely little tea! It is so good to see you visiting Linda. Thank you for your sweet comments and my the Lord bless you.
Sherry