Friday, August 31, 2018

Closing up shop

Today I pulled out of the antiques store where I had a booth for over 3 years. 
I couldn't "make my rent"  and I felt like I sold all my best stuff and gave the store back all the money, and then some.
 Sounds pretty stupid, right?  Well I just didn't want to give up.  I liked having a "storefront ", and kept believing it was going to take off.  What a shame. 
 I feel kind of sad, like I failed.  I tried everything. I kept it fresh by moving things around, adding a few new items every week.  I ran sales several times because all the other vendors had 25%, 50%,off  or more. I did sell more items when I ran a sale, but all that amounted to, was lost income. I decorated for every holiday, I had my items priced comparable to the other vendors prices. I carried similar merchandise, and some unique pieces.  I made sure the shop was neat and clean, and interesting.
It had a mix of styles, and something for everybody. I thought it did, but apparently it didn't.

 I just have to move on.   End the problem, I can't keep losing money, and all the time I invested- I must spend my time better.
I will focus more on the online store, because it works.  I can list most of the stock on my Etsy shop.



I feel defeated.and disappointed. At least maybe now I can get my house in order. My home is suffering from the clutter from having a business and not enough storage.  I've been removing stuff for a few weeks, a little at a time. I've had  too many things going on at once. and have spent to much energy on making sure the booth was  well stocked. Today, I devoted the whole day to closing up shop, emptying my space and saying goodbye to a dream.
I patched and sanded all the holes, where pictures had hung. I rolled up the rug, removed all the boxed-up goodies and with help lugged the furniture out to the truck to be put away in  storage.
 At least I tried. it was something I always wanted - a store, or the closest thing to one. 
 Maybe one day, I will have a shop, but it will have to be on property that I already own, like a larger home, with an attached shop.  Because the overhead, the rent is just too much.

No comments: