Saturday, June 18, 2011



 Happy Father's Day to all of you wonderful, devoted Dads, Granddads, and Uncles!  For all the love and  many sacrifices you have made for the children you have loved and cared for, we honor you and thank you!



"Wow,    I'm A Daddy!"
   I'm so pleased and proud of my sons-in-law, and other young daddies I am close to, because they are so openly affectionate with their children, so very "hands-on" involved with their care, and not afraid to show emotion, as some  fathers of previous generations were.  Your children are so blessed to have you for fathers!  Being a good grandmother, and aunt is only possible because of your support and respect and, your graciously including me, and I'm so happy to be a part of your precious family's lives.



I am thrilled to see my precious grandbaby bonding with his wonderful daddy!


A bunch of grand Pop-Pops, with  whom  I share the most beautiful granddaughters!


      My father was very affectionate with me and my sisters, but unfortunately, not  as demonstrative with the boys.   This was old-fashioned conditioning, I guess, and a common mistake.  Today's fathers  should know that it's not unmanly to show your feelings.   
     My brothers, however,  learned from their dissapointment, changed the behavior, and became exceptionally tender, loving parents, holding back nothing.  Consequently, my nieces and nephews are so lucky, and have become such fine young people, secure and compassionate.
      Daddy worked hard to support us and was a strong, decent, God-fearing,  and  hard-praying role-model to all seven of us.  We didn't have much money, but we learned good values,  common sense, and how to make the most of what you have.  My dad was quite a handyman, always fixing the washer, the car, and everything around the house. 
      But he took time to play with us in the yard, kickball, badminton, softball.  In the winter, he plowed the deep snow off the lake  with his lawntractor plow, so we could ice skate, and pulled a train of a bunch of kids on sleds around the neighborhood.   
      He took our youth group canoeing and camping.  Our family went on daytrips and picnics to historical places, like Washington's Crossing, and Batso in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey.   We frequented  parades, concerts, church functions,  went visting relatives, and to the beach and boardwalk.  People always commented on us being " such a big family, and so well-behaved"!
      When my siblings got older, they'd come visit me, the older married sister, who always moved around with her Navy husband, which  gave them a new interesting destination.  They'd  load up the motorhome, then come see me and my babies, and we'd visit all the local parks,  beaches,  antique train stations, airshows and  noteworthy points of interest.      These were very educational, and rich experiences  of  traveling, exploring, and playing together. 




 Daddy  gave me the love of music.  He took me to piano lessons, that he could ill-afford. 
We sang together at home, in church, at shut-in ministries, and in Haluwasa Choir.
 He plays a fine sax.  He's always played Christian music, often lead church musicians, and now plays secular music as well.  His orchestra holds patriotic programs, plays Dixie-land Jazz and Big-Band era music.





    He taught me to trust in Jesus and that's the most important thing I  ever learned from him.  My faith and prayers always get me through whatever happens.  
    I have a "peace that passeth understanding".  " I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand".   And I always have a song in my heart!






I love you, Daddy.   And yes, I was always listening to you, even when I seemed to be questioning  your ideas and ways.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Linda, nice to see you back in blog world. Don't let it bee so long in posting, milady! I've jumped in with earnest and am thoroughly enjoying meeting so many lovely ladies! Building my following and filling to the brim with new inspirations. Thanks for helping me get my blog feet off the ground! Joy to you! Kathy

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Linda, thanks for following my blog. I wouldn't have found you otherwise. I'm known as "nana" isn't it just the best thing ever. Erma Bombeck said "If I knew grandchildren were this much fun, I would have had them first".

So nice to see all that you share on your blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

Abby

promotional mugs said...

Your family is so big and your shared photograph is excellent with granddaughters. Living with family members is great time in life. Our family is very small. You are so lucky that you got chance to shoot a great moment.